Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Joyful Noise Band and Lava cakes

I often prefer PG pixar or Studio Ghibli animated features to the romantic comedies, British comedies, horror, and thrillers that my friends enjoy. Of course, I also have other friends who like LotR, Doctor Who, Sherlock, the Princess Bride, Finding Nemo, Howl's Moving Castle, the Pirates who don't do Anything, and the Mentalist, so I am not entirely alone. I have very good friends! Netflix has inspired this recent TV-and-movie-watching disease. I have been given two months of free netflix, and am enjoying them thoroughly. Am trying a new recipe from the Moosewood Still Life with Menu cookbook:Tuscan Bean soup. I didn't feel like going to the store (put on decent, non-holey clothes, brush my hair, locate my keys, put gas in the car, clean my glasses, etc.) so I am cheating on the recipe. Actually, I am cheating more than I thought I would be because we do not have any green beans, scallions, or lemons. I could make do without green beans and substitute onions for scallions and lemon extract for lemon juice, but alas, the bottle of lemon extract is just that: a bottle, no extract. I would blame someone for putting the empty bottle back in the pantry, but it was probably me. Dad actually hid the garlic press from me last week. I just recovered it today. I hate to clean it, so I would put it off for last, then wander off and forget about it. Our last try soaking beans didn't go so well, so I am also using canned beans rather than dried beans. Shameful, I know. at least they are organic. Hurricane MiniMotor came through the living room yesterday, and hurricane bake-a-thon came through the kitchen. The result: 6 rich, delicious, molten lava cakes and homemade drums, shakers, tambourines and a flag. We went marching down the street to the Director's mp3player. 76 Trombones! We delivered a lava cake to Punk. Minimotor waved the Joyful Noise Band banner (poster from an old frame taped to a mop handle). We decided on the Joyful Noise Band because there is a fine line between music and making a joyful noise. with our rice-shakers and shoebox drums, we were on the other side of that line. It was huge fun. It is nice to be utterly foolish sometimes. Will explain about my newest tv show discovery tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment