Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Drama

Dinner: Barley and Vegetable Saute. Delicious.
Dessert: Oreo Cupcakes (). Magnificent.
After-dinner games: Chinese Checkers, chess, and mancala. Thoroughly enjoyable.
Currently: working on the History of Euria and listening to the Screwtape Letters. Perfectly pleasant.
Later: will watch Tangled on Netflix. Relaxing.

All in all, a wonderful evening.
I wish that I could sketch. I can, of course, but the end result looks like something an untrained seven-year-old would draw. I may look into this in my free time this semester (haha). one week until school starts. I am not ready. I have to go buy my books tomorrow. I just finished the drama camp that I run last week. It was hard, confusing, stressful, expensive, time-consuming, and totally worth it. I had 21 kids (ages 8-14) and 5 helpers. Some were rambunctious and some were quiet. Some loved to sing, and some were scared to death. All of them did an amazing job. Even the ones who stammered or were monotone did much more than they could have at the beginning of the week, so I was thankful. It was amazing to hear them all sing Consider Yourself. 7 kids sang Your Fault from Into the Woods. They learned it in less than 4 days. And did it a Capella. My one seven year old and my one 14 year old sang He'll never know (From Frog and Toad all Year) A Capella. Having practiced it onstage twice. Incredible. They learned choreography and music and skits (Skitguys.com is amazing, by the way. Sooooo funny and nice!) I rediscovered what amazing friends I have. I said "Hey, I'm doing a drama camp in a few weeks. Would you like to give up 6 hours of your day without any kind of pay to help me?" They didn't hesitate. When they got there, I didn't have time to show them anything. I handed them pieces of scripts, gave them kids, and said "go practice this." and they did. Most of them hadn't even heard any of the songs before, but they worked them with those kids while I worked with others. No sheet music, no time to listen to the music beforehand. And I heard not a word of complaint. And then they showed up the next day! They are teenagers! this is not typical! I thank my God, I do not have normal teenage friends! I cannot express my awe and gratitude. It is so humbling to see the self-sacrifice of these 5 teens. I'm tearing up (again). Truly, he who has found a true friend has found a great treasure. It is also humbling to see what those young actors could do in 5 days. I will go write now. Today is the faded blue of an old, sunbleached work skirt.

1 comment:

  1. Ah. Oreo cupcake recipe found at http://lemondropsfoodie.blogspot.com/2011/08/oreo-cookie-cupcakes.html They are delicious! The batter made twice as many as I was expecting, but that is fine by me!

    ReplyDelete